The storm is building, be a part of it!
The purpose of the Dorchester Hurricanes is to develop the skills it requires to become a competitive swimmer. Those skills include stroke techniques, starts from a 1 meter dive block, flip turns, and endurance swimming. A large portion of this program will also involve building strong character in each swimmer and instilling YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility in each swimmer.
Click HERE to download the flyer. Register at the Dorchester Family YMCA.
We are continuing in our quest to become a more competitive YMCA Swim Team, and YMCA of the USA requires all participants of such programs to be members in good standing for 30 days prior to any competition. The Dorchester Family YMCA offers youth memberships, in addition to family memberships. Scholarships are available for those who meet the necessary criteria.
To Join the Dorchester Hurricanes each swimmer must have the ability to swim, without assistance:
- Age 8 & under: 25 yards freestyle and/or backstroke
- Ages 9 to 12: 50 yards freestyle, backstroke and breaststroke
- Ages 13 and up: 100 yards freestyle, backstroke and breaststroke
- Have proper swim attire recommended for this program; one piece suit for girls; jammer for boys, as well as proper swim goggles; AND
- Attend a minimum of 2 practices per week or 70% of the practices overall
Practices will take place at the YMCA (program will not operate on the following holidays: Thursday, Nov. 24, Saturday, Dec 24 or Saturday, Dec 31.
Program Begins/Ends: Tuesday October 4, 2016 to Saturday February 25, 2017
CAT 1 (ages 8 and under)
- Practice Times: Tuesdays/Thursdays 6:00-6:40pm
- Saturday 10:30-11:15am
CAT 2 (ages 9 and up)
- Practice Times: Tuesdays/Thursdays 6:15 dry land training, 6:45-8:00pm pool
- Saturday 10:30am-12:00pm
*Practice on October 4, 2016 will entail a mandatory Parent/Swimmer Orientation to meet the coaches and will also include a review of the Swim Club handbook and any other details that will be key to making this program a success.