In the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program, you will be surrounded by a group of supportive peers with common goals who care about your well-being.
The program focuses on small, measurable goals to give participants confidence they can make the necessary changes to reduce their risk of acquiring Type 2 diabetes and live healthier lives.
Want to know if you are at risk? Take this simple online assessment to find out. http://www.ymca.net/diabetes-prevention/risk.html
CLICK HERE to download the program brochure.
United HealthCare and the Diabetes Prevention and Control Alliance have teamed up to offer full coverage for this program to participants with a United Healthcare Insurance plan. The number to call to see if you qualify for coverage is 1-800-237-4942
IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH, BOOST YOUR ENERGY
The goals of this program are to help you lose a modest 7% of your body weight, and gradually increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week. These two factors were shown to have the greatest effect at preventing diabetes in high risk populations. Participants report feeling healthier, a greater sense of energy, and more confidence after this program.
DO YOU QUALIFY?
To participate in this program you must:
- Be 18 years or older;
- Have a BMI>25; and
- Have a diagnosis of prediabetes via one of three blood tests
- A1c% of 5.7%-6.4%
- FPG between 100-125 mg/dL
- 2 hour PG between 140–199 mg/dL
Please contact your primary care physician to test for these values. You may also download this self-screening tool or stop by the Dorchester County Family YMCA and pick one up to assist in assessing your risk.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD SELF SCREENING TOOL
For assistance in navigating insurance, program enrollment, scholarships and payment plan options:
- Contact the Diabetes Prevention and Control Alliance to confirm if your health plan covers this program by calling 1-800-237- 4942.
- The cost of the program is being supported by the Dorchester County Department of Health and the Dorchester County YMCA’s Annual Campaign scholarship fund.
In order to be eligible for scholarship assistance, the scholarship application form must be completed and all necessary documentation submitted to the Y on or before your first class.
If you are not in need of scholarship of assistance, the full cost of the program can be paid to the Y over an 8-month period at $40 per month.
During the first four months of the Diabetes Prevention Program, a YMCA membership will be provided for FREE to program participants with 90% attendance and successful achievement of program milestones. After the first four months, program participants may choose to become a member of the YMCA with the membership joining fee being waived.
You may also be eligible for financial assistance for membership which will be determined based upon the scholarship application completed.
- You do NOT need to be a YMCA member to enroll. AND MORE IMPORTANTLY…
- Enrollment in the program and program attendance enables you to become a Dorchester Family YMCA member for FREE for the first 16 weeks.
- Beyond week 16, a 50% discount for those who choose to become a Y member is available for the remainder of the program.